Deadline: August 29, 2022
Applications are open for the Fre-e-Waste Programme 2022. Do you remember how many electronic devices you have used and changed in your life? And what has happened to those discarded devices? Do you know the whereabouts of those different sorts of e-waste?
It is estimated that 57.4 Mt (Million Metric Tonnes) of e-waste was generated globally in 2021. And only 17.4% of it is known to be collected and properly recycled. New electronic devices are required to be created every day. The extraction and refinement of materials required to produce electronic devices create greenhouse gases. This could be reduced or avoided if e-waste were properly treated recycled. However, e-waste management has not received much attention in ASEAN.
FRE-E-WASTE programme is implemented by a group of ASEAN environmental enthusiasts, STEP Forward Education and supported by the U.S. Department of State and Young Southeast Asian Leaders Initiative (YSEALI). This two-day workshop, followed by a co-production of a manual on e-waste seeks to bring together a group of Southeast Asian environmental enthusiasts aged between 18 to 35 to connect and collaborate on e-waste issues in the region through hands-on activities including interactive skill-building sessions, expert presentations, and a game jam will be taking place online in two days: Saturday and Sunday, September 3 – 4, 2022.
- Discuss with invited experts to improve understanding of e-waste.
- Promote youth involvement in the ASEAN region and Timor-Leste to address the e-waste management issues by developing leadership and creative problem-solving skills.
- Receive a certificate of completion and acknowledgement of contribution to the creation of the post-workshop toolkit.
- Increase social and professional skills such as leadership, networking, and teamwork through workshop activities.
- Support with internet subsidies for participants.
- Be a resident of one of 11 Southeast Asian countries: Brunei, , Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Timor-Leste, or Vietnam;
- Be between the ages of 18 and 35 at the time of application;
- Be proficient in reading, writing, and speaking English;
- Be willing to participate in the program actively;
- Have a commitment to participate in the whole program: attend a two-day workshop and complete the toolkit based on what they have learned as the toolkit is revised in consultation with invited experts to make the final version downloadable for public access to all Southeast Asian countries.
Complete the application form by uploading your CV and answering the following questions:
- What do you know about e-waste in your country?
- Why do you want to apply for the program? (100-150 words)
- What do you expect to learn from the program?
- What can you contribute in terms of e-waste to the program?
- Any other relevant information that you wish to share?
Click here to apply
For more information, visit Fre-e-Waste.